In honor of my last night in my Des Moines home, I’ve decided to make a list of all the things I’ve learned to love about this city:
1. My friends. I’d list you all, but I’d undoubtedly forget someone, and then I’d have to deal with that fall out. No thanks. You know who you are.
2. Everything is about 15 minutes away. As someone facing a 47-minutes commute to work, a 23-minute commute to church, and at least a half-hour subway ride to just about everything else, I’ll miss the quick trips.
3. Prices. Everything in New York is effing expensive. Seriously. Everything.
4. Smash T-shirts. I bought two today. Des Moines-themed sarcasm? Sign me up.
5. Van Dees Ice Cream
6. Just driving around
7. “Landmarks” from my childhood
8. Fourth meal
I feel like there is probably more than that, but for some reason that’s all I can come up with right now. Thanks for the laughs, Iowa. Take care of yourself.