So I survived camping.
(Insert oohs and ahhs here.)
It was actually pretty fun. I mean, the quarter-size mosquito bites on my ankles, calves, and forehead (Yes, FOREHEAD. Effing mosquitoes…) I could have done without, but I’m a sucker for a day on a beach (even if it’s attached to a lake) and an evening eating a s’more in front of a fire.
Here’s a list of things camping has over civilization:
1. You can wear pajamas all day. In fact, it’s encouraged.
2. The food. Pancakes, burgers, the previously mentioned s’mores…sign me up.
3. Campfires. Even though you’re all smoky until you take a shower, I love the smell in the air.
4. Stars. Turns out you can’t see them in the city. Go figure.
Here’s a list of things civilization will ALWAYS win at:
1. Showers. Sharing my bathing space with a daddy longlegs the size of my hand? No, thank you.
2. While we’re on the subject, the bugs in general. Spiders, beetles, blood-thirsty mosquitos and ticks — these are things I can’t enjoy outside a Pixar movie.
3. Well…pretty much everything else.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I think I’m one of those “camping in moderation, please” types. So until next year, I’ll be enjoying my indoor plumbing and central air/heating, thank you very much.
And of course, there’s always a life lesson to make it all worthwhile:
Life lesson #131: That which does not kill us only makes us stronger. And more bug-bitten.