You guys! I’m back!
Hopefully your whole day without me wasn’t too difficult to bear. I’d like to be all like, “Oh maaaan, you guys, I was like dyyyying without you!!!! LYLAS!!” But I’m afraid the hubs made our 36-hour anniversary extravaganza a bit too awesome for me to wish I was anywhere else.
And just because I love to brag on my handsome man, here’s a run-down of just how great he is:
1. On Tuesday, I got a special delivery at work right before lunch. The flowers continued to open while I was out, and they’re even prettier today. (Plus, my desk smells amazing.)
2. When I got home that evening (after my boss let me out EARLY – woot!), after Joey finished packing, a town car picked us up around 5:30. Um, hi? I can go into the city without worrying about fighting traffic or slogging along on the train? This is the ultimate in luxury for me. (I’m a fancy, fancy girl, obviously ha.)
3. Hotel room! We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Times Square. It was perfectly located for our (yet unbeknownst to me) planned activities, plus it had a gym in the basement so I could go running Wednesday morning.
4. Before dinner (at Tre Dici, which I highly recommend)(Get the lobster mac and cheese. You’re welcome.), Joey gave me yet another surprise. We were going to WICKED the next night! Cue my girlie shrieks.
5. The next morning, we grabbed a delicious egg sandwich at Piccolo Cafe. At this point, I knew we had plans around 1:30, but I didn’t know what they were.
6. Surprise! The plans were that we were going to see Once, a musical based on one of my favorite movies. Yes, you’re counting right, that’s TWO shows in one day. Obviously, I could not be more thrilled.
7. What’s that? We have half an hour to kill before our show? Why, yes! I do think the correct answer for “how should we spend that time” is getting a drink at a nearby pub. I mean, it was after noon…so…yup. (Side note: We were both mildly concerned that we would have to explain ourselves as we bellied up to the bar shortly after lunch, but there was literally a crowd of people drinking. Apparently we’re the only ones that don’t imbibe on our lunch breaks?)
8. You guys. Once is so good. Seriously. If you like folksy music, people who start bands, Ireland, somewhat tragic love stories, amazing singing, or just generally talented musical people, this is the show for you. It is SO GOOD. (Plus, the stage is a bar before the show and during intermission. That’s just never not awesome.)
9. After Once, we grabbed dinner and drinks at Spice Market, a southeast-Asian restaurant in the Meatpacking district. The ambiance is super cool, and everything we had was delicious. I had the kumquat mojito, and Joey had the whiskey passion fizz.
10. For dinner, we split the crab dumplings, seafood laksa, curry duck, and broccoli with baby corn. Dessert was a cookie bag and a half pint of Vietnamese coffee ice cream. We’re fat kids at heart.
11. THEN IT WAS TIME FOR WICKED WHICH IS JUST SO GOOD AND YOU NEED TO SEE IT. I had seen it once in Chicago my junior year of high school, and it was just as amazing as I remembered. The girl who plays Elfaba? A. Maze. Ing. And Glinda knocks it out of the park. So funny. So good. JUST SEE IT ALREADY.
12. And then it was time to get on a train and head home. I think it’s safe to say that we’re both a bit exhausted today, but it was totally worth it.
I had SUCH an amazing time. (And I still have the Augustana concert to look forward to! I mean, the first anniversary is the paper anniversary, so I guess all these tickets are only appropriate!)
But more than anything, I’m so excited to start our second year of marriage. Love you bub!
OK, I promise, no more mushy stuff for a while. Just had to get it out of my system. 🙂
Now, I’m going to spend the rest of the day reminding myself it’s only Thursday and that I’m getting on a plane in 48 hours to go see some of my best friends.
And you can all look forward to that groggy post next Monday. Anyone else having a crazy (but super awesome) week?